Thursday, October 11, 2012

"It's About Time" Design Discussion

I really had a difficult time with this soap carving. It was hard for me to take a block of soap and carve out unnecessary parts to create an animal to the correct scale. I was able to get the just of my panda bear, but I know that it didn't look quite right. I just was too afraid of messing it up as well as feeling like I didn't know where to go next.

However when I melted my second panda down and began the additive and subtractive process it got much easier for me. I was able to react to each step and create a completely different piece - a molded penguin. I felt that that was much easier for me. To take a ball of melted soap and mold it into what I wanted was easier for my mind to comprehend. I could mold it and make it look the way I wanted and if it didn't work out I just re-melted it and tried again. That was not the case with the carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment