Thursday, September 20, 2012

Metamorphosis Design Discussion



When I began sketching for my design I was originally thinking I wanted to create a fairly normal/standard bedroom set.Once I began building I realized that I wanted to carry out a "bug" theme with the whole design. I started out creating the bed frame which has twisted paper in three loops for the legs - very reminiscent of bug legs curled up. The head board also has this twisted paper effect as well as tiny paper strips hanging down that were to be reminders of feelers. The slats that hold the two sides of the frame together are meant to remind the viewer of the bug's breast plate. There is also horizontal black lines on the bed frame that are meant to echo the bug's breast plate.




The twisted paper effect is also seen on the legs of the chest. Not only is it seen there but the bug's actual legs use this technique. The blanket on the bed has a double meaning. It is meant to seen as old and used and patched up. When I made the patches though, I wanted them to look as if they were bugs as well.

When I was making my color choices I thought that this was a very dark time in this family's life. It wasn't always this way however so that is why I chose the base of such bright colors. This was meant to symbolize the happier and brighter times the family had before their son became a bug. The darkness that covers everything - including the bug himself - is meant to show that this difficulty brought a dark shadow over everything and made everything seem dim and depressing.

I am very happy with this design and all of it's bug like features. Even the precariousness of the headboard as well as the way the bed stands was to symbolize how unsteady Gregor was when he first became a bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment