Thursday, September 20, 2012

Expressive Forms Discussion

  
Calm 
When I was thinking about the word "calm" I was imagining some sort of calming water. Not necessarily just still water, but water that was flowing gently. That's why I covered a curved piece of balsa wood with the clear tape. I was hoping that it would give the effect of moving water. I did the four tiered pedestal in order to give the curved piece some height and to make it took more like movement. I used four tiers because it was an even number which for me is calm and then I also used circles because they invoke a feeling of calmness.

Dangerous
 My inspiration for "danger" came from the idea of a trap. I made the back "window" type piece leaning slightly so that it looked like it could fall at any moment. I made it with clear tape so that it was like you couldn't see the trap and would just walk into it. The spikes hanging down could be used to either imprison someone or to kill them. The bottom piece is also covered in clear tape, sticky side up in order to further trap someone.


Old
For the word old I had originally thought about making an arch or something like that and then weathering it. However that idea didn't work and actually fell apart. From those scraps I actually created this piece. I thought that just because something is old doesn't mean it cant be made into something again. I did still make the piece weathered because the original fell apart which in my mind made it seem like someone had neglected it, but then someone loving came and repaired it.

Chaotic
For "chaotic" I channeled my inner kidergardener. I imagined if I were that young again I would just be cutting up pieces of wood and pouring glue out and sticking things together. It is quite a naive thought but to me that is chaotic. But also quite freeing.


No comments:

Post a Comment